Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Bermuda 2017 - Day 1

Before I get started, let us meet the cast:


In case you somehow are reading this but don't know us, that's me and Sabrina on the edges, my sister (Andrea) and brother-in-law (Joe) in the middle.

Assuming Google is showing me timezone-adjusted timestamps on photos, we landed in Bermuda around noon (AST), and waited around for Andrea and Joe to arrive.


While we waited, I wandered around a bit and took some photos. We eventually sat down for a snack at the (possibly "only") airport restaurant (more like a cafe, if I recall).




Once we collected Andrea and Joe, we took a short taxi ride to our lodging in St. George's. Many of the "roads" are little more than alleys, but our taxi driver was persistent and eventually got us as close to the house as was possible in a car.


The place we rented was a freshly-renovated guest house, overlooking the alley.


All of the houses have terraced, white roofs, which, in addition to staying cool(er) in the sun, are also the source of their fresh water supplies. (It rained one night, and a neighbor commented that "[we] caught a lot of water last night", while making small talk.)

Not having much else to do as it was already mid- to late-afternoon, we set out for a walk almost immediately, vaguely headed towards Fort St. Catherine.




Just over half a mile from the house, we came across Tobacco Bay.





As we weren't quite outfitted for swimming, we added this beach to the To Do list for later and continued our walking tour.




Not far past Tobacco Bay, we found a beach adjacent to Fort St. Catherine, aptly named St. Catherine's Beach (it has some interesting history).



It was just before 4:30 PM when we got to the fort, and I believe it had closed at 4 or 4:15. The (I assume) sole employee implored us to "come back tomorrow!" as he was locking the gate. You can clearly see how disappointed Sabrina was.




The sky was starting to look angry in the distance, so we reconvened the adventure tour and continued along the coast.




Eventually, it became obvious that our circuit was going to be interrupted by weather, so we took a shortcut back to town.



Apparently everyone knew it was going to storm... except me. I attempted to fend off sideways rain with a tiny travel umbrella. Not sure when the consensus of "umbrellas are useless in Bermuda" was reached, but I suspect I was absent. They all mocked my plight.



The monsoon receded slightly as we descended back into St. George's, and we had just enough time to stop for essential supplies before returning to the house.



On a related note, if you ever stay on this island somewhere that isn't a hotel, bring your own coffee, tea, sugar, snacks, etc., and save yourself a bunch of money.

I think we ate at Wahoo's that night, which was pretty good, as I recall.

It turned out that the spot o' rain while we were out was just a preview; it rained all night and most of the next day.

No comments: