Thursday, February 18, 2016

Berlin 2016 - Day 5

Thursday morning felt a lot like Wednesday morning; woke up, Jeff long gone, went out to get food.

Today, though, I opted for a full-blown brunch situation instead of the usual coffee-and-a-pastry. I was going to settle for the restaurant next to the hotel, but I missed the 11 AM cutoff for breakfast. While at the Gasthaus Krombach last night, I noticed they had breakfast until noon, though, so I headed back there for a "ham breakfast".


After my lavish breakfast, I went back to the hotel to get the wifi hotspot (oops), and then started walking towards the Charlottenburg Palace, just over 2 miles away.

Along the way, I passed Technische Universität, the local branch of the Church of Scientology, some purple sky pipes, and a bunch of other random stuff.






Eventually, I could see the palace in the distance.


Once I got there, I did a lap around the outside of the building and checked out the grounds/gardens behind it a little bit. One could easily spend an entire day wandering around the gardens, I suspect.







When I got bored of the palace grounds, I headed south down Schloßstraße, away from the palace.

... and continued wandering in the general direction of the hotel.




I eventually stumbled upon the Berlin-Charlottenburg S-Bahn station, so I decided to take the train a few stops east towards Tiergarten, at which point I got off and headed through the park towards the Victory Column. Along the way, I found the Teehaus in the English Garden, I think.


Upon arriving at the Victory Column, I walked around the perimeter of the traffic circle, but didn't bother spelunking out to the middle (there are a pair of pedestrian tunnels).



 Along one side of the circle, there are a few statues of the victors themselves, I presume?




By then, it was after 4:30, so I continued south, vaguely towards Kurfürstendamm, across the canal, and then took a shortcut past the aquarium.




Along the way, I saw a guy juggling in the crosswalk during red lights, presumably trying to earn some money.



By the time I made it back to the hotel, the health app on my iPhone reported just over 9 miles walked for the day.

We headed to Savignyplatz for dinner, and ended up at an Italian restaurant.

When we got back from dinner, it was just over 10.5 miles.

Tomorrow, Jeff finishes up his conference, and then we fly to Munich for the night.

No comments: